Melbourne Plumber Warns of Carbon Monoxide Dangers!!

Watch ESV’s media campaign on carbon monoxide poisoning, ‘Carbon Monoxide – The Silent Killer’, featuring Scott and Vanessa Robinson, Chase and Tyler’s parents. 

Servicing of Appliances Essential

Get brick chimneys and gas heaters checked this winter to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

Energy Safe Victoria is urging all Victorians with gas heaters built into brick chimneys to have them tested for carbon monoxide spillage before winter. This includes space and room heaters and decorative log fires.

While brick chimneys are designed to safely remove combustion products from the home, they can deteriorate over time. Any holes in the mortar or brick work may stop the chimney drawing properly. If the fault is significant, it may create back pressure and push toxic carbon monoxide into living areas.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless gas that can be produced by faulty, unserviced gas heaters and it can be fatal.

In the past decade nine Victorians have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, including brothers Chase and Tyler Robinson who died in their Mooroopna home in May 2010.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

“The most common one is a headache, but also nausea, vomiting, drowsiness and ultimately unconsciousness,” he warned.

“And early signs in children for example is that they can become grumpy and irritable because they can’t tell you about their headache, for example.”

Anyone experiencing such symptoms should switch off the appliance or move further away to see if the symptoms ease.